Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Hash brown quiche

One of the easiest meals I have ever made - hands down. The recipe calls for using butter, I used margarine - not much difference, 3 eggs, I used egg substitute to equal three eggs, 1 cup of 1/2 & 1/2, I used fat free, 1 cup of cheddar - I don't substitute my cheese but I think less would be fine, 3/4 cup of diced ham - ick but I added it anyway and 1/2 cup of chopped green onions all in a shell made of 3 cups of shredded hash browns (get the frozen ones set aside 3 cups to defrost, press between paper towels to absorb as much moister as possible) mixed with 1/2 stick of melted margarine (butter) which I pressed into a 9" pie plate, making sure to get the sides. The crust/shell was baked for 20-25 minutes in a 450 degree oven. While the crust was baking, I mixed the other ingredients in a bowl then poured into the crust, lowered the oven temperature to 350 degrees.

I garnished the individual slices with additional green onions and a dollop of sour cream - you could add more onions or sour cream to taste.

As I was making this dish, I realized it could be used for additional flavors, if you will. I could make zucchini strata with it - make the crust, add sliced zucchini then the egg and 1/2 & 1/2 mixture top with feta and croutons then bake for 30 minutes. From there, you could really add what other veggies or meats of your choice. The key to making this lighter is using the egg substitute, fat free 1/2 & 1/2 and veggies. A little potato is ok along with a little fat - the butter or margarine.

So having said all the above...both the hubs and L had second helpings. I, on the other hand, am not a fan of ham in my eggs. I would make this again for a pot luck or something of that nature but if I were to eat this again, I'd make it with out the ham but add some additional veggies.

Enjoy and be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment