Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Cooking during a busy week, HUH?

This week is relatively busy in the evenings which is making it tough to determine what to cook or when to shop. Last night, Monday, Leo and I went to a weight loss surgery support group meeting - the theme was from the perspective of the care giver. Tomorrow, we have soccer practice at 5:30 and a fund raiser at a resturant after. So dinner will be today, Thursday and Friday.

I feel a bit like life has gotten in the way of healthy cooking; to that, I haven't gone grocery shopping and may not until sometime Thursday. This leaves us with the question...what do we want for dinner tonight? We are having one of my least favorite and most difficult meals to eat - hamburgers! I'm going to try my hand at inside-out bacon cheeseburgers with grilled onion mayo - may skip the mayo but we'll see.

I want to clarify my earlier comment about hamburgers being one of the most difficult things for me to eat. Since I had the bypass surgery beef, in general, has become difficult to eat because it is so dense. I do have beef about once a week and have learned to go for the 80/20 hamburger verse the 90/10 - it seems the higher the fat content the easier to eat. I think that is because the higher the fat the more moist the burger. I also tend to cook my steak a smidge on the rarer side. All lessons learned the hard way! Having said that, it took me a while to accept that higher fat content but since I don't have a lot of fat - especially unhealthy fats - in my day to day meal choices, I can make the occasional exception.

I learned, last night, that not everyone who has gastric bypass surgery has the same challenges I have or chooses to avoid certain foods the way I choose to. Please keep in mind, as you read my thoughts and comments, that this is my life style choice, this is how I choose to eat, the foods I choose to avoid and so forth. If you have weight loss surgery, you will live your life style choice.

I guess I'm off to the grocery store to grab a few thing...

Enjoy - Be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment