Friday, September 9, 2011

Grilled chicken pitas

So tonight's dinner sounds pretty simple, right? Right. However, there was a lot more to this meal than what it sounds but like last night's dish, this was not a make over meal - for a Paula Dean meal, that's saying a lot! The chicken is made with a marinade of soy sauce (I do use low sodium), lemon juice, garlic and oregano. Once the ingredients are mixed, you let the chicken marinade for a minimum of 30 minutes. While that is marinading you make the tomato/feta mix which has....two tomatoes finely chopped with 1 cup of feta, diced garlic clove and 1/4 cup of olive oil. This needs to rest a room temp for 30 minutes. Next, you need to make the yogurt dressing that has plain yogurt, finely chopped walnuts, oregano and lemon juice. From there, you need to cook 12 strips of bacon (I baked my bacon in a 375 degree oven for quite a while - I like it really crispy! This basically eliminated the grease.), chop some romaine lettuce and get out the alfalfa sprouts. The chicken is suppose to be grilled but I don't have a grill (can't where I live) so I cooked it on a grill pan. While it was cooking, in a second grill pan, I toasted the pitas. One tip - when slicing the grilled pita, keep in mind it could be doughy so you want to split it all the way through with the knife to prevent tearing (like mine did...)!

Once everything was prepared, I set it up on the table so everyone could make their own - using as little or as much as they wish. This is a keeper! We will eat this again - in fact, the leftovers will make a great salad tomorrow!


Enjoy - Be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment