Thursday, January 26, 2012

Not your momma's mac'n cheese

It's no secret I LOVE watching the Chew, in fact, I think it would be a really fun job to have! I'm not a super fan of Carla Hall but I think that's only because I don't really know much about her, however, the more I watch, the more I think she's a bit silly and I could see her being a good time. Not so sure she cares what other people think...I like that!

I have NEVER made good macaroni and cheese from scratch until one night when we had the Hammock's over for dinner - thankfully, it came out good! I made Carla's mac'n cheese which worked out so well. This was the first time I was successful at making a roux - now you can't stop my rouxs!

The recipe calls for 1 cup of cheddar cheese - I used NY extra sharp, and 1 cup of pepper jack. So you make the roux, add some milk, your cheeses and then when it's almost done, you add 4 oz of cream cheese. WHAT?! That's right, you heard me...cream cheese. It made the dish so creamy and delish! Naturally, this was poured over your favorite pasta - I'm passed using elbows, I like a fun shape - any fun shape. What I forgot to mention is that the roux is made using bacon fat - how did I get the bacon fat, you ask. I started the whole meal by cooking, I think, six strips of bacon in sauce pan (a large dutch oven), remove the bacon but keep the fat, add some butter and flour for the roux. Once you're ready to serve, add the bacon as a garnish.

I love this dish. I should add that since I'm all about protein, I added some sauted chicken to the mac'n cheese so it hits all out needs!

This is really worth trying - check for the recipe on thechew.com under Carla's recipes. Let me know if you need any help, I have it saved!


Enjoy - Be well!

1 comment:

  1. A link would have been nice. I looked under her recipes and could not find it.

    ReplyDelete