Thursday, January 26, 2012

Chicken noodle soup

As they say, chicken noodle soup is good for the soul - especially when it's cold or you're just overall feeling the winter blues. I got my recipe from Light and Tasty forever ago - I make it my own way and sometimes I add a bit more or less than needed.

To start, saute a cup of carrots, cup of celary and a small diced onion in two table spoons of canola oil until the veggies are translucent. Then add in 1/4 cup of flour with Bell's poultry seasoning. Let it cook for about a minute. Add six cups of chicken stock and about four potatoes cut into bite size pieces. Put a lid on the pot and cook for roughly 20 minutes. Add two cups of cooked chicken and two cups of no-yolks. Cook for another 10 minutes and add a can of evaporated milk but don't let it come to a boil. Cook for another minute then you're done.

So, now how I make it... I do all the veggies and such with two bouillon cubes; I add the stock and potatoes - usually more than four. I will add more chicken and generally a box of pasts because I don't like have 1/2 a box of pasta in the cabinet and I could care for no yolks. So, adding more pasta means I need to add more stock otherwise it's too dry - almost pasty. In the past, instead of adding evaporated milk, I've been known to add sweetened condensed milk.

Truth be told, I make it however it comes out. This last time I made soup I didn't have celery, I didn't add any evaporated milk - in hindsight, I haven't used it in a long time - also, I made a bit of a roux to make it thicker. So really, this is one of those recipes that once you have the process down you can make it any way you'd like. I hope you'll try this one, your family will really enjoy it!

Enjoy, Be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment