Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Cocoa tomato chicken

I made this for the boys (the Hubs and L) for Valentine's Day - tried to tie the whole cocoa/chocolate thing together. Yeah...so it didn't turn out quite like I thought. Plus, I totally chose the wrong side dish! HAHA - it was a REALLY bad choice for a side.

OK = so, this is a Paula Dean recipe - of course! Essentially, you cook chicken for a few minutes on both sides, remove it from the pan and build the sauce. The sauce has two cans of tomatoes (one sauce, one diced), onions (I used too much), two tbsp of cocoa powder and a little sugar - think I'm missing something here. You get the sauce cooking then add the chicken back it, letting is simmer for 15 minutes, turn the chicken and cook for another 15 minutes.

Yeah, um, Ms. Paula suggests rice as the side...I used mashed potatoes....I should have used rice :-/.

I really enjoyed the chicken but I had a lot of sauce left over - it was so much that I could have frozen it - I didn't. I don't think the boys liked it so much.

As I'm writing this is I realized that this would be great on steak. You could use a denser cut of beef, roll it in flour, brown in the frying pan with some olive oil. From there, build your sauce in the same pan to pick up the drippings. Once it's all set, throw it in the crock pot for a few hours to break down the beef making it more tender.

I would suggest giving this a try - it's worth it. If you're looking for a strong chocolate flavor, you won't get it - you're getting more of a mole sauce.

Enjoy - Be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment