Sunday, October 30, 2011

Potato Corn Chowder

I am a fan of a really good soup - that has not always been the case! I got a ton of recipe cards in the mail a million years ago. One night I couldn't decide what to make for dinner so I went through the cards and found one for a potato soup that calls for something like three medium potatoes, ham and cheese. Yeah, not my idea of a good soup - I really don't like ham (or bacon) in my dishes unless I'm eating ham for dinner.

Needless to say, I modified the recipe! I use five to six potatoes, depending on the size, cut them into 1" pieces that I bring to a boil and cook to almost done - I like them to be a bit on the firm side so they will hold up during the remainder of the cooking time. I reserve a cup of the potato water before draining. I use the same pot - melt butter and saute an onion then add flour to make a roux - at this time you would add any seasoning you'd like, for example; chili powder, paprika and cyanne pepper to make it south west style. Add in the potato water, 3 cups of milk, the potatoes and a table spoon of sugar (I use a packet of Truvia). Bring that up to a boil and add a bag of frozen peas (I use the steam fresh bags). Bring it back to a boil, reduce to a simmer and add a cup of shredded cheese. Let it simmer for 30 minutes but make sure you stir it pretty often because the cheese will sink to the bottom and not really mix well - sometimes I add it at the very end, just before I serve it. Too keep consistent with the recipe - to keep the Hubs and L happy - to bake some bacon to top the soup.

Love this soup! It's very versatile and really good the next day.


Enjoy - Be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment