Sunday, October 30, 2011

Calzone

It's been a while and I was supposed to make a video of me cooking the calzone, that, however, is proving to be difficult to do - a lot of balls in the air right now!

I am still cooking though! I got a recipe from a magazine to make feta and cream cheese stuffed chicken (for another day), then I have a recipe from our church cookbook that was for calzones, with chicken and veggies, which gave me the idea. I take the feta/cream cheese mixture add a bag of mixed veggies (I buy the steam fresh, cook in the microwave) and cooked chicken finely chopped and combine it in a bowl - needs to be a good size bowl because this makes quite a bit of filling. Your supposed to use 1/2 cup of feta and 2 Tbs of cream cheese, I don't - I use quite a bit more of both to make the whole mixture creamer. Remember to let the cream cheese come to room temp otherwise, it will be hard to mix though the hot veggies will soften everything.

Once all the ingredients are combined, I roll out a can of Pillsbury thin crust pizza dough, spread out the mixture - evenly, then use a second can pf thin crust pizza dough for the top, you can brush melted butter on top or PAM to make the crust brown up. I bake it for 15-20 minutes on a 375 oven.

This makes a very large calzone - really too big for the three of us - so it's good for a pot-luck or a large group event. I have make the same mix and instead of making one big calzone, I made a perogie type appetizer. For those, I use pre-made pie crust (also Pillsbury), unroll it and cut to the size you want, from there, put a small scoop of the mix in the middle and fold the dough over or top with a second same size piece, use an egg wash to keep the dough sealed and bake 20-25 minutes on a 350 oven. Follow the baking time on the package.



Enjoy - Be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment