Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Potato salad with orange and gorganzola

This was a very easy side dish to make and very yummy though I'll start by saying it does not make good leftovers if made as per the recipe. I got this one from Giada on the foodnetwork.com.

Start by roasting baby potatoes that have been coated in olive oil - slice the potatoes in half, coat then put on a foil lined cookie sheet - sliced side down - that has been sprayed with cooking spray, roast for about 40 minutes on a 400 degree oven. While that's cooking, I opened a bag (tough work!) of mixed greens - though the veggies are already cleaned before they are bagged, I rinse them just a bit with cold water, helps them perk up. The dressing is a table spoon of orange zest, orange juice, champagne vinegar but I used rice vinegar, 2 table spoons of extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper to taste all whisked together. The orange juice is from the orange peel of the orange that was zested. The orange needed to be peeled using a knife then you squeeze the peels to get the juice. You want to get all the membrane off the orange and separate the wedges, put the wedges on the salad greens.

Ok - once the potatoes are cooked, remove from the oven and let sit for 15 minutes, then add to the greens and oranges. Add 2 ounces of gorganzola cheese crumbled and top with dressing. Oh - I forgot, Giada uses toasted walnuts, I'm not a fan of walnuts, I used toasted pine nuts - adds crunch!

I served it with steak that I marinated with steak house marinade. It went well together - I was very happy!

Now - having said all that, I had the salad the next day for lunch and it felt soury to me, like the cheese went bad... I think if I were to make this again, I would hold the cheese to the side so the next day the cheese would be fresh.


Enjoy - Be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment